carol's kitchen

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PARIS (up & in)

I've waited a week, but could have told you on the first day -- I love Paris! It's the most beautiful city in the world. The buildings, monuments, parks, fountains, statues, little squares from which streets radiate like spokes in a wheel are hallucinating; a geometric marvel, a feast for the eyes. I'll get to the food later.

I ask myself every day - why am I not living here? I wander around the city, mostly by foot, reading the street signs that sound like poetry; evoke history - voltaire, la bastille, la republique!!! place goncourt, rue de la folie mericourt...

so far, except for a couple of times when i had dinner with friends who were visiting paris, i've basically just stuck to my neighborhood, wandering up & down boulevards and avenues, stopping in the sunny little squares & parks, eating a picnic, watching the people, chatting with strangers.

i'm living in a comfortable modern apartment in a "popular" neighborhood, which means it's where people live more than visit as tourists, yet it's close enough to the center - 10 minutes by metro to the champs elysee, 15 minutes by bus to the louvre. the streets are filled with people, mothers pushing baby carriages, old folks with canes, kids from school - all colors & shapes. there are so many cafes & restaurants & shops i can visit nearby i hardly feel the need to go to the louvre, but eventually i'm sure i will.

meanwhile, i'm getting over jet lag, watching french tv (which is a lot of american tv) at night, listening to talk radio (a lot of news & politics) while i have my coffee & croissant in my kitchen in the morning, drinking a glass of something at a cafe in the afternoon, and doing nothing much besides walking all over the neighborhood. i'm so lucky to have this great block of time stretching out in front of me and can do whatever i please - and be lazy about it.

i've located the swimming pools in my neighborhood but haven't made the time yet to swim. who knows what i'll do? i'm not sure myself, but this much i can tell you. i'm happy living in paris, eating french food, especially the bread, and gazing at the eiffel tower from my bedroom window at night before i roll down the shutters. it's lit up at night & shines a beacon around the city like a light house.

i've got internet & skype on my laptop at home & look forward to news from my friends.

more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home