carol's kitchen

Saturday, April 30, 2011

KINDLE

I've broken down & bought a Kindle. Not that I particularly wanted to read words on a screen instead of on a paper page, but as soon as I saw the size of the stack of books I was planning to take with me to Paris, I immediately opened the Amazon page & clicked "buy." I can make better use of precious luggage space. After all, I'm going to Paris - one needs clothes.

Now I'm loading this lovely slim electronic device with books - 7 so far - even while I sit in my rocker, reading real books with great pleasure. Before I leave I want to finish Jim Harrison's THE RAW AND THE COOKED, a signed copy of which I picked up in San Francisco on sale for $10.00 - the price of most of the books on my Amazon wish list. And Jonathan Safran Foer's EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE, which I picked up in a friend's house & couldn't put down. She insisted I take it.

Soon, there will be no more books lining the walls of our homes. Everything we want to read will be in the little electronic device. I consider the price - $189 - the same as a small book case I might buy from Plummers, or Ikea, but the Kindle takes up no wall space & hold a lot of books.

Just started reading my first book on the Kindle and I LOVE it. I read better, faster, more comfortably and I'm sure I'll read more. I take it everywhere I go. Hurray for the Kindle!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home