carol's kitchen

Sunday, October 09, 2016

CANDIDATES FORUM IN VALLEJO



I enjoy the city forums because they’re an opportunity to experience democracy in action -- a great privilege and one of the reasons my ancestors came to America.  I get to hear & see the candidates in person, real people speaking for themselves, giving me the opportunity to think for myself and make up my own mind. 

At the same time, it’s hard to ignore the fiery blog gossip and word-of-mouth rumors that slither through our city like a sweet-talking serpent.  Easily recognizable, the language of gossip is loaded with clichés and platitudes; its slogans arouse fear and demand conformity; it’s antithetical to thinking for oneself.  Certain journalists promote & thrive on it.  No wonder Trump does so well in this country.

I’ve attended two forums so far, the latest run by Vallejo’s White Chamber of Commerce, and held in the gorgeous Empress Theater in beautiful downtown Vallejo, which has become more beautiful lately with the installation of a fine sculpture called SOMA, in front of the library.  

Proud of my city, I gazed with joy at the diverse ethnicity of the candidates who sat side by side at a table on the stage.  I watched them as they spoke, listened carefully to their words, and considered what I’d heard.  I still believe Landis Graden will make a great mayor for Vallejo.

Hssssssssss….  I’m warned to “follow the money,” insinuating Landis’s JumpStart endorsement means he’s sold out to the Orcem Ogres.  It makes me wonder what exactly it takes to sell out your own city.   I try to imagine how much money & power Landis could garner from JumpStart to sway his vote.  My conclusion: I'm not buying it; Landis has a far-better destiny than to become the mayor responsible for bringing a cement factory to the shores of Vallejo.
 
I’m not excited about candidates who need notes to recite their thoughts and visions for the city.  I’m excited about candidates who can think and talk at the same time, and are able to speak from the heart.  Nothing excited me more than the two council candidates with the least experience – including the youngest of all – who spoke with such passion and exuberance about what they want to do for Vallejo that they were jumping out of their seats. 

Too bad we can only elect three this year.  We need fresh blood down at city hall.   With the exception of Robert McConnell (who, incidentally, was the only Caucasian on the roster of council candidates), I’d like to replace every single one of them who sit on the dais now.
 
Let’s look and listen and think about what is offered.  Do we want a mayor who needs notes to tell us what he’s done, or a mayor of strong character; a businessman with fresh ideas, who speaks well, thinks on his feet, & can guide our emerging 21st  century city.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home