carol's kitchen

Sunday, June 19, 2016

ELECTION QUESTIONS



Some of the folks running for mayor & city council in Vallejo invite me to fund raisers, but, with the exception of Robert McConnell, they haven’t told me anything that makes me want to vote for them – so far.  I watch their mouths move, but hear nothing but platitudes & clichés; just a lot of blah blah blah, delivered over fancy food & drink, in lovely settings, with charming people.   

Sorry guys, I won’t be bribed, nor will I contribute to campaigns that tell me nothing.  

For example, here’s a doozie I read last week in this newspaper: “...it’s time to dig deeper and work on systemic and long term change that will ensure a transparent, open and collaborative form of government such as civic engagement policies that ensure public noticing and participation on major economic development projects.” 

Whew!  Will someone please translate that garbage for me?

Worse than gobbledygook is the gossip people repeat as though they know it’s true, when they actually do not.  There’s a lot of nasty stuff out there, which, if we can’t stop at the source, we can at least ignore.  Please, don’t let gossip influence your thinking.   For example, many people I know tell me a certain candidate is a Dominionist.  They believe this is a fact, which it might be, but how do they know?  So far no one has been able to tell me.  Moreover, just because someone is friendly & smiling, shakes my hand and acts like a “good guy,” isn’t enough reason to get my money or my vote.

I want my elected officials to be able to articulate what’s needed in Vallejo and how to get it done.  I want them to know what’s going on in the city, its schools & various communities; to understand business and know how to make good deals.  Do any of the people running for mayor or city council have those qualities?   These are my questions to all local candidates.  Please answer with straight talk, in simple English.  


  • 1.      What’s your vision for Vallejo? 
  • 2.       How will you make it happen? 

Furthermore, I want to see regular town meetings, public forums, Q & A sessions where citizens can ask tough questions directly, and hear answers we understand. 
  
Enough obfuscation!   Stop the gossip!  Let’s have a real conversation.  I want to hear the candidates tell me what I need to know in order to use my intelligence in deciding who to vote for.  



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home