carol's kitchen

Monday, August 01, 2016

WE'VE BEEN HAD - AGAIN!

Why does Vallejo need FUSE to find and train someone for the important job of marketing our city to potential businesses?  Why can't we hire people who are already trained?  Why can't we hire a highly qualified, experienced professional who has references, a resume of successes and verifiable accomplishments, important connections and a proven track-record working with other cities to do exactly what we need?  Surely these professionals already exist.  We might even have such people among us.

If I needed a heart surgeon I would seek out the best, most experienced one I could find.  I would not go to Truoro University and ask them to find a pre-med student whom they would then train to become a doctor, and specialize in heart surgery to operate on me - and watch over him and give him refresher courses while he did it. 

As I watched the presentation Tuesday night at City Hall, I kept thinking what a fine sales person the FUSE organization sent, offering vagaries, non-specifics, and avoiding direct questions with slick language that told little more, as far as I could tell, than how good they are in selling themselves.  That alone should have told us what they were about.  How many times did Councilman McConnell ask the same question about who pays the cost of the refresher-course training hours after the person is hired?  Three! The same number of times the question was avoided; the third time received a head-shake when he offered the obvious answer.  (The answer is "Vallejo does.") 

If I was looking for a job I might go to FUSE, but I wouldn't be on the buying end.  Why should the city of Vallejo pay $60,000 to find someone for us ?  Why should we be benefactors for FUSE?  I don't see what they can do for us that we can't do better ourselves.

My brilliant City Council and Mayor voted unanimously in favor of FUSE, while expressing "hopes" about what the FUSE trainee should do.  "HOPES" not requirements or expectations, but HOPES.  The wise men of Chelm have spoken again.  Good luck, Vallejo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home