carol's kitchen

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

IN DEFENSE OF THE COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY COMPLAINTS


First of all, let me make it clear: I never complained about Vallejo -- the city I chose of my own free will and about which I have no regrets -- or the people I’ve met, who continue to fascinate me in so many ways.  Those who read my last story and understood otherwise need to check their reading/language comprehension skills. 

What I did complain about, above all, was my own blunder in buying a condo on the heavily-trafficked main road along the river.  I was blinded by the fine views from every room, the 2 ½ bathrooms, the fireplace and spacious patios, and deafened by what I consider a perfect location, location, location.   It was my own dumb mistake and not the fault of Vallejo, although Vallejo could certainly do something about it by diverting trucks and buses off the river drive at Sonoma, which is a business street anyway, and turn Mare Island Way into a lovely tree-lined entrance into the city, with parks, roundabouts, flower beds, fountains, and other appealing sights to welcome visitors to our town. 
Then I complained about Cathy’s cleaning service, that didn’t clean, my general contractor, “R” who spoiled my concrete floor and knows nothing about hanging wallpaper, and my pathetic lack of patio furniture – which, come to think about it, was no big deal considering the experience of sitting on a busy speedway with a roaring car-chase movie taking place just inches away.  

One of my kind neighbors suggested I think of it as crashing surf, another said plants will help, and someone even proposed a water fountain.  Yeah, Niagara Falls, maybe.  These neighbors, so kind and helpful, prove the saying, misery loves company.

For those who think I haven’t plunged into Vallejo’s life, I want to point out that in addition to writing for VIB (the best blog in town), I subscribe to Vallejo News, and Vallejo Arts and Entertainment.  I read what’s going on and dutifully mark it all in my calendar.  I came out for the Artwalk on Georgia and Marin Streets on Friday night and went to the Filipino Culture Fair on Saturday, which turned out to be more of a black entertainment event, and a great one too, featuring some fabulous musicians and singers and a couple of skinny young teen-agers in white face, who tore up the street, lip synching and dancing so fine, they could qualify for America’s Got Talent.  

 I need to point out that only a handful of people showed up for this event.  Then, on Saturday, I attended a wonderful performance of La Boheme at the Mira Theatre, together with a mere 29 other souls, all of whom left hall in tears (spoiler: Mimi dies). 

I faithfully read the incessant NextDoor emails to find out what’s on in my neighbors’ minds, I try not to miss Moschetti’s on Saturday mornings, which lifts my spirits and brings new people into my life/  Next weekend I plan to visit the Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum, the Kennedy Library and watch a HUB performance of Waiting for Godot. 

A couple of weeks ago I had a front row seat at the drag show at the TownHouse, which was rollicking fun, attended an excellent photography exhibit at ARTIZEN, on Georgia Street, heard a rocking live rock and roll concert at the Empress Theatre, watched the Wacky Races, otherwise known as Absurdium, or something like that, on Mare Island, and sat through one long inning of the Admirals, or local baseball team, who lost.  Then I shopped for vegetables at our sumptuous Saturday morning farmer’s market, and of course, as any new home owner must, made another visit to Home Depot.  

There's no rest for the wicked in Vallejo, no end of entertainment and things to do for a new resident of this fair city.  I'm busy enough, so leave me alone.


###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home