carol's kitchen

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Another Day in an Authentic Ayurvedic Clinic

More from The Arya Vaidya Chikitsalayam and Research Institute in Coimbatore, India

As I had already completed the full five week course of treatments at this incredible Ayurvedic Clinic a couple of years ago, for some reason I can no longer remember I decided this year I would only stay for two weeks.

Wrong!

Now I wish I could stay longer but alas, they have no room for me. This place―having but 36 rooms―gets booked up months in advance. They're turning down people every day. And now that that PBS has finally aired the documentary made here during my last visit I can well imagine what's coming.

Of course anything can happen between now and the 19th. of November when I'm supposed to leave. Someone could cancel.

Right?

Anyway, my doctors are giving me their best shot in the short time I've got left. In addition to bombarding me with round the clock herbal medicines they're starting my intensive treatment tomorrow. I will be getting "Elakizhi Podikizhi" for 30 minutes and "Full Body Navarakizhi" for 45 minutes a day; not sure yet for how many days, but I'll find out.

This is what they say:

Oil will be applied gently all over the body and head. Then the medicated Kizhi will be heated and fomentation given after checking the heat of the Kizhi.

It will be done all over the body. The kizhi will be done until the liquid used for heating the kizhi finishes completely. Pressure should not be applied on the body during treatment (even if you have pain) as your body will be very tender during the treatment.

Do's & Don't's:

  1. Just lie down and relax for about 30 minutes after the treatment.
  2. After the treatment do not expose yourself to hot sun or cool breeze.
  3. You are not allowed to go outside or exert yourself as your body is tender after Pizhichil.
  4. You are not allowed to sleep during the daytime.
  5. You are allowed to have normal light food.
  6. Avoid working in the computer/watch TV for long hours.
  7. Internal medicines will be given as usual.

I'm going to do as I'm told, follow doctors' orders, but I sure hope I find some short hours to work in my computer, do email, skype my grandson, & write about my treatment. I also like to catch some TV. It's a long day when they get you up a 6 AM to drink the first bitter medicine….

But oh how good it is at mealtime to eat that normal light food!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home