carol's kitchen

Friday, July 13, 2012

MEGGEN - a tiny village 6 kilometers outside Lucerne, Switzerland



Of all things to leave home on a six-week journey, Microsoft Word (the application) is just about the dumbest for someone who calls herself a writer.  Don’t ask, please; it’s a long story... Moreover, my dear friends, Rosmarie & Hannes, the wonderful next-door neighbors last time i stayed in Meggen, are out of town for nearly the entire length of my stay... a crushing disappointment.  And the the final blow, the cruelest cut of all, came when I discovered the fabulous Meggen swimming pool, the perfect 22 meter, 82 degree, ozonated pleasure palace -- a mere five minute walk from my apartment, where i’d planned to swim every day-- is closed for the entire month of July and half of August.  

No writing, no swimming, no buddies, & no TV either.  What else?  

Prices!  The twelve-minute bus ride into Lucerne costs $4 each way.  No special deals for seniors in this country.   A pound of ordinary tomatoes at the supermarket $3.50, $4.50 at the farmer’s market, a pound of fish from the lake is $20 - 30.  A head of lettuce $3, a loaf of bread $5-6, a pound of apricots $6.50.  Forget about eating out.  Broccoli soup $12, main courses hover around $40 - 50 and up, an individual pizza with cheese tomato & salami $25.  Entrance to the museum of transportation $40, a one-way ferry ride to the end of the lake $45 - and then you need to get back.

No wonder the Swiss go to the USA for shopping sprees.  

On the other hand, I’ve made a home exchange of apartment & car ('83 merc), in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I’m on magnificent Lake Lucerne, surrounded by the staggeringly dramatic, jagged peaks of the Alps; the air is sweet, the water is pure, the scent of flowers permeates the atmosphere, everything is clean and orderly, and everyone is rich and happy.  What's more, everyone has health insurance.  I'm happy to cook all my meals at home, take long walks along the lake, have met new neighbors, been invited for dinners & lunch, and my kindle is loaded with wonderful books.

Just finished reading HOW WE DECIDE, by Jonah Lehrer, and ask all my friends to read it.  Please.  This book has blown my mind & I believe it will do the same for you.

The weather has been perfect, sunny with intermittent rain showers, in the mid-high 70’s.  I saw a brilliant rainbow in front of the house right after I arrived, and yesterday, I found 70 Swiss Francs ($70) on the sidewalk, right there at my feet.

If you’re not familiar with the beauty of Switzerland, I suggest a Google search.  Google Maps informs me the cost of gas to drive into Lucerne is 54 cents (half a Swiss franc) - plus parking.  Now, I've discovered Google docs - hence this missive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home