carol's kitchen

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Japan

Setting out again; Japan, for the first time. Organizing things in my apartment the way I want them to be when I return in three weeks. I do this every time I go away. There are deep, unspoken psychological reasons for this beyond the mere aesthetic, but now is not the time for that.

My friend, Masa, genius/composer/performer/ troubadour, has offered to take me on a road trip in the Japanese country side. We’ll spend ten days roaming around the coast of the Sea of Japan, stopping at hot springs, looking at mountains, birds, trees, Buddhas, and visiting small villages where Masa brings his beautiful music to schools & community halls, etc. How lucky I am!

Then, about five days in Kyoto & another five in Tokyo on my own. I feel foolishly fearless about getting around in cities where I don’t speak a word of the language and can’t read the subway signs, but know I will do it & enjoy it too. Thinking about temples, gardens, markets, Sumo wrestlers, No Theatre, sushi, ramen, izakawa, sayonara, madame butterfly, kame kazi, mishima, bonzai...

My flight leaves at 1 PM on Sunday, mother’s day; tomorrow, eleven and a half hours non-stop. I plan to watch all the movies I missed in the last two months, & take a pill. I’ve also got Karen Armstrong’s BUDDHA & the latest New Yorker in my backpack.

Masa promises to be waiting for me at the immigration gate at Narita airport. I’ll grab my small roller case, hit up an ATM, and we’ll be on our way.

Happy Mothers Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home