carol's kitchen

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

home run

I was thinking about Jackie Robinson, the famous Brooklyn Dodger baseball player who got a lot of airtime last month on the radio; it was his birthday, I think, or the anniversary of his joining the Dodgers. Jackie is credited with breaking the “black” barrier in professional baseball. First black player to join the majors… Okay, bravo, good for Jackie. I was an ardent fan.

But it seems to me the people who deserve credit for this important event are those who hired him. They’re the brave, daring rule-breakers, setting a new precedent, opening up professional sports for non-whites in this country. Of course Jackie did his part by pursuing it, by excelling in his sport & going for his dream, but why do they never talk about the powers-that-were, men, I imagine, who hired him? They’re the real heroes. My guess is only Google knows who they are. Do you?

On the subject of powers-that-be I’ve just read the dauntingly long, but very interesting profile of Mort Zuckerman in the last NEW YORKER magazine and have decided that he’s the man for me. He’s rich, smart, good looking, gets around, & is age appropriate too, which would be a change for me. True, from the info in the article he sounds boring in so many ways, in spite of Barbara Walters claims he’s the best dinner party guest, but I could deal with that.

The reporter draws a picture of a man who’s only interested in what he himself has to say, who tells stories & jokes, the same ones over and over again, & can’t seem to settle down with one good woman. I could handle that. I'm very independent. I’d listen to his stories with my zen-like smile, not need to tell him anything about me, laugh at the same old jokes, support his ego maniacal ways; he needn’t change a thing for me – if he gets my book published & buys me first class tickets on airplanes. That’s all I really want. I’d be easy to settle down with.

I’d be a fine wife for that man because I’m interesting enough for me, and I’ve got my own work to do: writing books. He could publish everything I write. Think what you will, I’m not ashamed to say I’d rather have a good man who can help me than a bad one who charms & entertains me & wants me to do everything for him. God knows I’ve had enough bad-boy charmers in my life who needed me more than I needed them. I’d like to try it the other way around for a change. And Mort might get connected to his soul with me. I could challenge him intellectually & spiritually. It might turn into an equal deal.

So Mort…. let me hear from you.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home